Sick + Twisted Theatre is seeking proposals from d/Deaf, disabled, Mad and/or sick performers for our second annual cabaret "Lame Is...
Lame Is... confronts assumptions about disability and subverts expectations. Through dance, songs, skits, spoken word, stand up, magic acts, etc we celebrate our exceptional bodies and brains. We’re looking for short (3 to 10 minute) party pieces that exploit your superpowers.
Please send us:
· A brief description of the performance you’d like to work up.
· Your background in performance or other artistic disciplines (resume, CV or bio).
· Your goals for your performance: what you want the audience to experience, what you hope to learn/ develop/ explore. If this will be a springboard to something else, tell us that too!
What we offer:
· Mentorship (dramaturgical and directorial assistance) will be available to all emerging artists. We’ll help you conceptualize, develop, realize and polish your piece.
· All artists will be paid an honorarium for their participation.
· Some limited production funds will be available and rehearsal space will be provided.
We are also looking for d/Deaf, disabled, Mad and/or sick arts-minded people who would like to work with a mentor behind the scenes (directing, design, stage management). Please send us a description of the work you are interested in, why it interests you, and any previous experience you may have working in the arts.
If your disability is such that you need support to complete a submission please let us know! We can provide you with assistance.
Deadline for submissions is June 1, 2018.
Successful proposals will be contacted by June 20, 2018.
The performances will be on September 14 & 15, 2018.
Email your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Lame is… is generously supported by the Canada Council for the Arts.